The Best Oven “Fried” Fish
For the dry breading
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsps ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek
For the eggs
- 2 large eggs
For the fish
- 1 lb cod or thick white fish fillet cut into pieces
For the pan
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Prep: Preheat oven to 430°F (220°C).
- Make breading: Mix all ingredients for dry breading in a shallow dish.
- Prep eggs: Add eggs to a SEPARATE bowl and beat well.
- Bread fish: Dip fish into breading to lightly coat. THEN coat fish with egg. FINALLY, coat fish with breading again, this time you can really pack on as much as will stick! (Just place breaded fish pieces on a plate until you've breaded them all.)
- Melt butter: Put a dark-colored roaster OR baking sheet in the oven to heat up – the pan you use to bake the fish on needs to be hot to melt butter on! After 5 minutes, remove pan from oven, add 3 tablespoons of butter to pan to melt. Spread all over pan and put fish pieces on.
- Bake: Bake fish for 10 minutes. Flip, add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and finish baking for 5-10 minutes or until coating is crispy and fish is cooked through. Finish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish: Let fish pieces rest on the pan for 5 minutes after baking, then serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Savory Nothings.