PALEO-ish PECAN PIE
Prep time: 15 MINUTES | Cook time: 30 MINUTES
Gluten-free, flavorful and packed with minerals. As if you needed more reasons to eat pecan pie!
- ½ lb pecans, raw
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup date paste (maybe 3/4 cup if you like it less sweet)
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup ghee, melted (plus more, unmelted, to grease the pie dish)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 pie shell, (see recipe below)
- 20 – 24 pecan halves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add date paste and maple syrup to a mixing bowl and stir delicately with a large whisk until well combined. Throw in eggs, melted ghee, vanilla extract and salt and resume whisking, a little more vigorously this time, until well combined. Set aside.
- Grease a 9”deep dish pie plate with ghee and line with bottom pastry.
- Spread pecans at the bottom of the pie and then pour reserved date paste mixture over the pecans. Gently tap the sides of the pie dish and delicately bang it on the counter a few times to remove any potential air bubbles.
- Place the pie on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is nice and golden and the filling has set.
- Arrange pecan halves around the perimeter and center of the pie to make it extra pretty.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- 2 ½cup Blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut or date sugar
- ¼tsp Sea salt (or ½ tsp for savory pie crust)
- ¼cup Ghee (measured solid, then melted)
- 1large Egg (or ~2 tbsp additional ghee)
- ½tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line the bottom of a 9 in (23 cm) round pie pan with parchment paper, or grease well.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut sugar (if using), and sea salt.
- Stir in the melted ghee and egg, until well combined. (If using vanilla, stir that into the melted ghee before adding to the dry ingredients.) The “dough” will be dry and crumbly. Just keep mixing, pressing and stirring, until it’s uniform and there is no almond flour powder left. (Alternatively, you can use a food processor to mix it all together.)
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. You can flute the edges of desired; if it crumbles when doing this, just press it back together. Carefully poke holes in the surface using a fork to prevent bubbling.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden. (Add fillings only after pre-baking)