Cleanse-Friendly Vanilla Cake
Sometimes birthdays happen during a cleanse. But no need to panic! This recipe is made without gluten or refined sugar, and it is absolutely delicious!!! So you can have your cake and eat it too!
- 6" round cake pan or 12-cupcake pan
- 1/3 cup ghee or coconut oil (plus more for the pan)
- 1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Coat a 6-inch round cake pan with ghee or coconut oil and line it with a parchment paper circle cut to fit the pan.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the ghee (or coconut oil) and then set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, tapioca or arrowroot flour, and salt until blended.
- Separate the eggs and place the whites in a medium bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and place the yolks in another bowl along with the melted shortening, maple syrup, vanilla, and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the large bowl with the flour mixture and whisk till the batter is smooth and no lumps remain.
- THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR THE TEXTURE OF THE CAKE! Using a hand mixer or the whisk attachment of your stand mixer, beat the egg whites until they look like softly whipped cream and hold soft peaks when you pull out the beaters, about 2 minutes. Set the egg whites aside for a moment.
- Stir the baking soda into the batter and then, using a rubber spatula, immediately beat 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the batter, mixing just until barely combined and some streaks remain. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites into the batter, mixing until only a few streaks are left. Carefully pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes*, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake and turn it onto the rack. Let cool completely.
- *If making cupcakes, bake for 20 - 25 minutes
Adapted from Leite's Culinary. https://leitesculinaria.com/print/318130